Thursday, October 14, 2010

Nigerian Stew

You know when you find a recipe that you just can't get enough of?  You have it once at someone's house, ask for the recipe, and then dedicate your life to perfecting it, tweaking it, and having it be second nature in your culinary repertoire.  Sarah and I would like to extend a don allah (Nigerian Hausa for thank you) to Mrs. Bello and Hauwa for sharing their Nigerian chicken curry recipe.  During our time as captives in Mthatha, we tasted this for the first time and after waiting to hear a beautiful complicated name for the dish, we were told it was "stew".  It's nearly perfect though and Sarah and I have made it at least 6 times since we got home.  Our most recent addition has been steamed spinach, a staple vegetable here.  We live, eat, and breathe Nigerian stew.  And during the recent days of nearly bone-chilling weather, it is the perfect dish. 

I am debating about starting a blog dedicated to those moments where I feel like I am an unintentional celebrity.  For example, last Sunday at the church service (my first time in almost 5 years) that Sarah and I were invited to by Mawethu and Lwandile.  Not realizing how swanked up churchgoers around here would get and with a post-church service beach trip in mind, Sarah and I looked like we had just rolled out of bed.  Little did we know that we would be seated with the pastor and his family, warmly welcomed into the community, and then asked to stand in front of the entire congregation while "our friends from Canada" were being introduced.  We both turned a deep shade of bomvu (red).  It was full of singing, clapping, evangelizing, praying out loud, and crying.  After that and in the place of worship I'm a little more familiar with, we trekked out to Gonubie and Nahoon Beach with our faithful Dean's Taxi and I had my first jump in the Indian Ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment