Saturday, February 26, 2011

An Ode to Cipro

I would like to extol the virtues of a new miracle drug in my life: Cipro antibiotics.  I thought my bruised knee was the only casualty of the Qunu workshop, but there was some prolonged repercussions from our time spent in the Transkei.  I was convinced that my intestinal tract could handle teeth brushing and occasional tap water drinking while in Qunu and Mthatha, but I was brought quickly back to reality upon our return to East London whenever what bug I picked up reared its ugly head.  I thought I was going to have to spend my last 6 days in South Africa getting even more familiar with the bathroom  facilities. 
After a couple of days of intensive "cleansing", I finally ventured to the doctor's clinic with seriously painful stomach cramps and a fear that I was either going to lose another 10 pounds or expel my spleen, the doctor prescribed Cipro with a promise that it would have me feeling better in no time.  I was slightly unconvinced but within 18 hours, I was a totally different woman.  I've learned my lesson about Mthatha water for the next time I visit (hopefully a not too far off prospect!) and I also will know to demand Cipro in the very likely event that this happens again in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment