Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Goodbye Winnipeg, ola Pemba!

Enjoy your horizontal sleeping, enjoy your showers, enjoy your meals that are not covered in foil.  I can almost guarantee that by the end of the journey to Pemba, the cabin of a plane will be a familiar and unwelcome sight.  But I do have the opportunity to try out Kenyan Airways and will be one step closer to being a Gold Level cardholder of a flight points system!

Here is my itinerary for tomorrow:
Winnipeg to Toronto
Toronto to London Heathrow
London Heathrow to Nairobi
Nairobi to Pemba

But I am sure it will all be worth it once we land....

Map of Mozambique
Pemba in the northeast-across from the compass

I have not found extensive information about Pemba but as I learn, I will pass it on and in the meantime, I do know that Pemba is the coastal capital of the northeastern and rural Cabo Delgado province, lies on one of the world's largest bays, and is supposed to be one of the most beautiful and "undiscovered" areas in the region. 
Check out the side of the blog for some links and other information!







Portuguese is the official language of Mozambique (a former Portuguese colony) but the local languages of Makua and Makonde are predominant as is the Kiswahili influence from the north.  Besides the work with AKF Mozambique, I am excited for the opportunity to learn a few languages, experience life in a new and different setting, experience the food and beaches, and travel around the country and region.







I do not believe that growing up on Maui or living in South Africa has prepared me for what sounds like some pretty serious heat and humidity (and bugs).  Perhaps that's part of living between the Equator and Tropic of Capricorn.  I got the impression that those heading to the "Stan" countries in Central Asia were a little jealous of the sun, beach, and ocean that has been promised us and I'm sure my Canadian readers will be interested in the intense heat and beach days in January. 
Flag of Mozambique

No comments:

Post a Comment